Get Rid Of Household Ants Naturally
With over 700 species in the United States alone, it's to be expected that the ant is the most common household pest in the country. If you have ants in your house, you'll want to get rid of these nuisances--fast. There are a number of ways to do this naturally, without any harsh chemicals. Try some of the following methods before your home is overrun by these hungry insects.
Prevention Is Key
There are steps that homeowners can take before an infestation, or during the early stages of an infestation, that can nip an ant invasion in the bud. The earlier you act, the easier it will be to get rid of the ants.
- Keep your house clean, especially the kitchen, where food particles attract ants. In particular, don't leave out dirty dishes, sweep the floors after every meal and don't leave out uncovered food.
- Take out any trash frequently, preferably daily.
- Be careful about placing pet food bowls on the floor where they will attract hungry bugs. If you must put pet food bowls on the floor, use one or more of the natural methods listed below to keep ants away from them.
- Ants are attracted to sources of water. Wipe up all moisture in the kitchen. In addition, repair any leaking air conditioner condensate lines, drain lines, downspouts and hose bibs outside.
- Keep plants and tree branches trimmed away from the house, as these are a common point of entrance for ants.
- Seal off entry areas with caulk, glue or plaster. Petroleum jelly is a good temporary sealant.
Use Natural Solutions
You don't need harsh chemicals to get rid of ants; in fact, you probably have everything you need to stop an infestation already in your home. Pesticide sprays kill ants efficiently, but if you want more natural solutions, consider the following options:
- Dish soap and water
- White vinegar and water
- Lemon juice and water
- Borax, sugar and water
Simply mix these solutions and put them in a spray bottle. Spray the areas where you are finding the most ants and also any possible entry points. You can also spray the liquids directly onto ants to kill them, which is particularly useful if you have found their nest.
Stop Ants in Their Tracks
In addition to liquid solutions, there are many natural powder remedies that will literally stop ants in their tracks. Use the following household substances to create barrier lines in front of entrance areas.
- Cayenne pepper
- Cream of tartar
- Baby powder
- Powdered charcoal
Make the barrier lines about a quarter of an inch wide and be sure the lines are unbroken. Keep in mind that any ants that are already in the house will be trapped inside by the barriers.
Bring in the Big Guns
If none of the above natural methods are effective in keeping the ants at bay, you may want to consider bringing in a professional exterminator like American Extermination. While the pesticides exterminators use are not as natural as vinegar or cinnamon, they have a high success rate in stopping infestations. Another advantage of professional services is that they will keep ants away longer as exterminators concentrate on eliminating the source of the ants. Finally, professionals can eliminate other household pests such as roaches and fleas simultaneously.
Don't wait to take care of your ant problem, hoping it will simply disappear. Take action at the first sign of infestation, as the ant invaders are guaranteed to increase in number. Remember that prevention is your best weapon, and that keeping a clean house will not only keep ants but also other creepy critters away from your home.